Mr Draghi, what are you afraid of? Release #TheGreekFiles!
Mon 02, 2017, Articles
Today, DiEM25 is launching a petition to support a mass freedom of information request for legal documents on the ECB’s closure of Greece’s banks in 2015.
In 2015, the ECB closed Greece’s banks as part of the troika’s attempt to intimidate the newly-elected Greek government into abandoning its mandate for a renegotiation of Greece’s public debt, fiscal policy and reform agenda with the troika of creditor institutions (EC-ECB-IMF). At that time, the ECB commissioned a legal opinion on the legality of its actions which it is refusing to make public!
Yanis Varoufakis (DiEM25) and Fabio de Masi (MEP, GUE/NGL) have announced they will file a mass freedom of information request to the ECB to release the withheld legal opinion. DiEM25 is today launching a petition to gather signatures to support this freedom of information request.
This campaign is just the beginning of DiEM25’s long struggle for transparency and democracy in Europe. If the ECB denies this request to release #TheGreekFiles, Varoufakis and De Masi will consider all options – including legal action – to make this vital information public.
The petition is sponsored by an broad coalition of politicians and academics, including Benoît Hamon, the Socialist Party’s candidate for the French Presidency in 2017.
DIEM25’S PETITION IS SPONSORED BY:
- Benoît Hamon, Socialist Party candidate for the French Presidency, 2017
- Katja Kipping, Co-Chairperson, Die Linke, Germany
- Gesine Schwan, President, Viadrina European University and twice the SPD’s candidate for the Presidency of the Federal Republic of Germany
- Fabio De Masi, MEP GUE/NGL (TW / FB) and supporters
- Yanis Varoufakis, co-founder of DiEM25 and former Greek finance minister
With the support of university professors including
- Klaus Dörre, Friedrich-Schiller-Universität, Jena
- James K. Galbraith, University of Texas at Austin
- Rudolf Hickel, Bremen Universität
- Gustav A. Horn, Hans-Böckler-Stiftung
- Aidan Regan, University College Dublin
- Jeffrey Sachs, University of Columbia
- Joseph Vogl, Humboldt Universität
- Arthur Gibson, University of Cambridge
Sign our petition at http://change.org/thegreekfiles
or learn more at http://diem25.org/thegreekfiles!
Do you want to be informed of DiEM25's actions? Sign up here.