Austerity, Xenophobia, Euro and Environment – DiEM25 and European Spring event, Berlin 24/1/2019
Mon 01, 2019, Articles
With xenophobic and authoritarian forces rising across the EU, economies not yet back to pre-2008 levels, Eurozone ‘exits’ becoming more likely and climate catastrophe on the horizon, it’s time to stop what we’re doing and rethink.
The EUROPEAN SPRING, that will be contesting the May 2019 European elections in 11 countries, brings together politicians and activists to give a new, European perspective on these critical issues.
- Introductory speech by Yanis Varoufakis, co-founder of DiEM25, Secretary of Greek party MeRA25, and lead MEP candidate for Demokratie in Europa in Germany for the EUROPEAN SPRING
- Panel 1: Migration and xenophobia
- Panel 2: Poverty and austerity
- Panel 3: The Euro and ‘exit’
- Panel 4: The environment
- Agnieszka Dziemianowicz-Bąk, leader of the Polish party Razem
- Baltasar Garzón, star judge, founder of the Spanish party Actúa
- David Adler, member of DiEM25´s Coordinating Collective and coordinator of the Progressive International movement
- Daniela Platsch, director of the Austrian party Der Wandel, lead MEP candidate for Demokratie in Europa
- Franka Kretschmer, member of the board of the German party Demokratie in Bewegung
- Isabelle Thomas, member of the European parliament for the French party Génération.s
- Lorenzo Marsili, Italian writer, founder of European Alternatives, member of DiEM25´s Coordinating Collective
- Rasmus Nordqvist, member of the Danish parliament for Alternativet
- Rui Tavares, former MEP, founder of the Portuguese party LIVRE
- Yanis Varoufakis
Moderator: Bianca Praetorius, MEP candidate for Demokratie in Europa
Sharing stories of political struggles in their countries as well as innovative solutions, our panelists will ensure that everyone gains a deeper understanding of what’s ailing Europe at the start of 2019…. and how we can fix it.
Our location is a 15 minute drive from Alexanderplatz, Berlin. It’s the old stock exchange Marzahn, Zur Alten Börse 59, 12681 Berlin. Doors open at 19:00; the event starts at 19:30.
Buy Early Bird tickets here. There will be a limited number of regular-price tickets sold at the event itself.
Do you want to be informed of DiEM25's actions? Sign up here.