DiEM25 to become political contender in Greece
Wed 03, 2018, Articles
Last week was historic. We set into motion the first-ever transnational political list to contest elections in Europe.
Since then, messages of support from DiEM25 members have flooded our inboxes! And warning shots have been fired by the establishment’s politicos and their media trolls. They are getting worried. And they should.
Our strategy in the months ahead is two-fold:
- Our Movement: We will continue to grow and strengthen our movement so that we can raise awareness in every corner of our Union, expand our network of activists and volunteers, and keep the pressure on the EU establishment
- Our Electoral Wing: We will continue to build a progressive, transnational political force that can support and elect candidates who are neither chosen nor funded by the status quo, and who will give real political weight to our policies
If you are in Athens, or can take a trip there, please join us as we continue to make history on March 26 when we’ll launch MeRA25, DiEM25’s electoral wing in Greece.
Here’s what will be happening on Monday, March 26 in Athens:
- 10.00 – 11.30 Press conference
- 12.00 – 13.30 Grassroots spontaneous discussions
- 13.30 – 14.30 Roundtable on MeRA25’s Health and Education priorities
- 14.30 – 15.30 Roundtable on Environmental Policy and Local Government Action
- 15.30 – 17.00 Roundtable on MeRA25’s Economic and Social Policy Framework (Greek New Deal)
- 17.00 – 18.30 Roundtable on the links between MeRA25 and DiEM25, and DiEM25’s participation in the European Parliament Elections
- 18.30 – 20.00 Short videos and speeches from MeRA25 and DiEM25 members
- 20.00 – 21.00 Speech by Yanis Varoufakis and closing of the event
From the moment that we launch MeRA25, we will need to empower our Greek activists to drive MeRA25’s message and programme across the country. We need to mobilize, recruit and train volunteers from Sparta to Kavala, from Crete to Cephalonia. And we need the backing of the entire DiEM25 family! We must redouble our efforts against the media blackouts and the oligarchs’ attacks in Greece: ground-zero of the Eurocrisis.
Our members continued support is critically important to our grassroots, and to showing the Establishment our resolve: that DiEM25 is a force to be reckoned with. That they are right to be worried about us.
Do you want to be informed of DiEM25's actions? Sign up here.