In less than a year, MeRA25’s parliamentary group have proven through their actions that they are “your voice in parliament.”
They have attended all parliamentary proceedings and articulated profound, substantive and creative opposition!
MeRA25’s parliamentary group has notably:
- Tabled more than 850 questions in the context of Parliamentary Control of the Government
- Submitted concrete proposals on a number of articles during the Amendment of the Constitution
- Tabled 20 amendments to legislative bills, including:
- Abolishing the prepayment of tax [businesses and freelance professionals must currently pay in advance 100% of next year’s estimated income tax]
- Rationalising the flat tax on property in favour of the weakest [one of the harshest austerity-inspired flat taxes, keeping in mind that home-ownership in Greece, at around 75%, is amongst the highest in the EU]
- Reducing VAT rates in Aegean islands [whose residents are de facto overburdened by high transport costs and limited access to state services due to geographic isolation],
- Proposing a subsidy for the elderly uninsured and protecting main residences and small businesses from foreclosures [a huge social issue, made worse by the government’s decision to allow off-shore predatory funds to purchase non-performing loans at large discounts, which in turn makes auctioning properties at prices well below the market profitable]
In addition, MeRA25 has submitted:
- A comprehensive electoral law proposal, aiming at a more proportional, practical, smart, full and democratic electoral system, while the other parties where haggling around electoral bonuses [Under majority representation over the past decade, the party gaining the most votes is awarded a bonus of up to 50 seats in parliament, out of a total of 300].
- A comprehensive legislative proposal on the right to vote of Diaspora Greeks, while both the government and the main opposition where deceiving them [Diaspora Greeks amount to as much as 50% of Greece’s population and established parties covet their votes]
- A legislative proposal “Protection of Citizens from the Fallout of the Intensifying Economic Crisis” for public consultation, ahead of its formal submission to the Greek Parliament.
Do you want to be informed of DiEM25's actions? Sign up here