Join us on Thursday, May 13 at 7PM CEST for the inaugural event of the brand-new Centre for Postcapitalist Civilisation.
The event — which will premiere on mέta’s YouTube channel and Facebook page facebook.com/meta.cpc — will feature artistic performances organised by the theatre group “Astronauts,” circus artists Angeliki Nikolakaki and Tina Gourtzi, as well as Vassilis Koundouris and Violet Louise of Studio19, and will also count with the participation of mέta’s Advisory Board members:
- Noam Chomsky (Linguist, philosopher, MIT)
- Brian Eno (Musician)
- Iliana Fokianaki (Founder and Artistic Director, State of Concept Athens)
- James K. Galbraith (Economist and Professor of Government, University of Austin, Texas)
- Antara Haldar (Empirical Legal Studies, University of Cambridge)
- Srećko Horvat (Philosopher, writer and activist)
- Anish Kapoor (Sculptor)
- Ken Loach (Filmmaker)
- Beral Madra (Art critic and curator)
- Preethi Nallu (Writer and researcher)
- Shirin Neshat and Shoja Azari (filmmakers and visual artists)
- Nikos Papastergiadis (Professor, School of Culture and Communication, University of Melbourne)
- Mari Velonaki (Social Robotics Researcher, University of New South Wales and media artist)
- Nikos Theocharakis (Professor of economic theory, University of Athens)
- Paul Tyson (Senior Research Fellow, IASH, University of Queensland)
- Yanis Varoufakis (MP, MeRA25 Secretary, Economics professor, University of Athens).
A livestreamed press conference will take place right after the event, at approximately 8:15PM CEST, with:
- Host: Kostas Raptis — Press Officer, mέta
- Danae Stratou — Chair, mέta
Sissy Velissariou — Vice-Chair, mέta
Sotiris Mitralexis — Academic Director, mέta,
Nikos Kanarelis — Cultural Director, mέta.
About the Centre for Postcapitalist Civilisation (mέta)
The Centre for Postcapitalist Civilisation (mέta) was established in 2020 as a not-for-profit research organisation in order to facilitate the exchange of ideas in a radical direction and to support the pan-European movement DiEM25, the Greek political party MeRA25, and the Progressive International (all of which are represented in mέta’s Steering Committee).
mέta seeks to employ a dual approach, combining the academic/political/educational with the cultural and the artistic. mέta’s activities include research and publishing initiatives, the organisation of festivals, seminars, workshops and events –academic and cultural/artistic alike– focusing on the political, social, economic, ecological and cultural dimensions of the challenges we face at the national, European, and global level.
Its current Steering Committee includes Danae Stratou (Chair), Professor Sissy Velissariou (Vice-Chair), Eleni Spetsioti (Secretary), Michael Hatzitheodorou (Treasurer), Ivana Nenadović and David Adler (members).More information on its international Advisory Board may be found here.
Address: Mavrommateon 15, 10434 Athens, Greece
Do you want to be informed of DiEM25's actions? Sign up here