The War on Ukraine calls for support for victims of war and a new non-aligned movement
THE ATHENS DECLARATION, May 13, 2022
- We stand with the people of Ukraine, as we stand with every people suffering invasion, displacement and occupation.
- We demand an immediate ceasefire, the withdrawal of Russian forces and a comprehensive Peace Treaty guaranteed by the European Union, the United States and Russia in the context of the United Nations.
- We urge respect for International Law and all refugees, who must have their rights protected and offered a place of safety regardless of ethnicity, religion etc.
- We oppose the division of the world in competing blocs that invest in rampant militarism, hyper-modern weapons of mass destruction and a New Cold War.
- We believe that lasting peace can be achieved only by replacing all military blocs with an inclusive international security framework that de-escalates tensions, expands freedoms, fights poverty, limits exploitation, pursues social and environmental justice and terminates the domination of one country by another.
With these thoughts in mind, we call upon democrats across the world to join forces in a New Non-Aligned Movement. In this context, we view non-aligned, democratic and sovereign nations working together as the route to lasting peace and a world that can avert climate catastrophe and bequeath to the next generation a decent chance at creating the conditions for globally shared prosperity.
Jeremy Corbyn, Ece Temelkuran & Yanis Varoufakis, on behalf of
The PROGRESSIVE INTERNATIONAL, DiEM25, MeRA25
Watch Corbyn and Temelkuran’s address to the MeRA25 Greece Congress below
Watch the Athens Declaration press conference below
Do you want to be informed of DiEM25's actions? Sign up here